Options trading update – August 2021 – Spread it

August options trading review

This month I received $1,169 in premiums from trading options. This is another new record for me!


In today’s post I’ll break down my trades for August.

Here are some key points from this month.

  • I sold 11 options, all Puts.
  • I bought a put option as part of a spread. More on this below.
  • My total trading commission was $17 for the month.
  • All options that expired in August were out of the money. 🙂

Below is a table detailing my transaction details.

  • Initial underlying price – The market price of the underlying stock/ETF when I made the options trade.
  • Price difference % – How much the underlying will have to rise or fall to be in-the-money (ITM).
  • Initial days to expiry – How many days remain until the option expires, from the day that I traded it.
  • Initial DeltaDelta measures the probability of an option expiring ITM. For example, if a put option has a Delta of -10%, it means there is a 10% chance it will get exercised, and a 90% chance it’ll expire worthless.

Raw data from IB statement here.


My first options spread

A put spread is an option spread strategy that is created when equal number of put options are bought and sold simultaneously.

Normally when I sell put options I do not have a bottom line. If the stock drops 99% I still have to buy it.

But in order to reduce risk I could buy a put option with a lower strike price than the one I plan to sell. Simultaneously buying and selling put options on the same underlying, with the same expiration date is a put spread. 🙂

The stock I used for my first put option spread is Berkshire Hathaway because it’s a large conglomerate so it should be a pretty safe choice.

I basically sold a $250 Put. And bought a $200 Put. This means I am protected if BRK.B drops below $200 per share when the options expire in September.

I earn less premium with a put spread compared to a simple put option because buying a put costs money. But it’s less risky.



Options trading at a glance

Since I started in April I’ve traded over 30 options that have already expired. Surprisingly none expired ITM.
I like to play it safe and choose trades with conservatively low Delta values. 🙂

So far I have earned $4,733 from option premiums. This is before capital gains tax.


Thanks for joining me on my options trading adventure. I hope to continue trading options in September and keep doing my “Wheel” strategy.


Random Useless Fact:

The Hawaiian pizza was a Canadian invention by Sam Panopoulos.



Author: Liquid Independence

Editor in Chief at Freedom 35 Blog.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
08/30/2021 12:37 pm

Hi Liquid,

in your opinion, what is the minimum asset level someone should have in their account before considering implementing an option strategy like the one you’ve highlighted in a few posts now?


08/31/2021 7:45 am

I am not sure if you have mentioned this before, but I assume the Puts you are selling are all cash-covered? I believe there are certain Cash and/or Margin requirements for selling Puts. Can you confirm if there are any “behind the scenes” requirements for your current strategy?

Also, not sure if you mentioned this strategy requires Level III authorization within your brokerage. It’s not that difficult to obtain, but may require an application or call to your brokerage as it is not the default Options trading level.

Last edited 2 years ago by c041v
08/31/2021 9:30 am

Great article Liquid. I like this tool for calculating profitability of credit spreads: https://www.optionsprofitcalculator.com/.

09/01/2021 10:11 am

Hey Liquid awesome spreadsheet! So glad you listened and added the price difference % 🙂

I have couple of questions:
1. How do you calculate the initial delta %?

2. Do you ever calculate how much in debt you’ll be if all Puts get executed then base your number of Put contracts on that?

3. Say you bought Intel at $62.5 on margin and had it for couple of months. With the current premium levels for intel $62.5, would you sell covered calls at lower price to try to lower your ACB and hopefully profit? Or any other ideas?

You were one of the key people that opened my eyes to leverage. My net worth is on the similar path as yours!!


[…] month I experimented with a put spread. Both related contracts have expired worthless as expected. […]