Some say Canadians are being charged too much for our cell phone plans 😯 I used to think the same 5 years ago, when Bell, Telus, and Rogers were the only options for most people. But not anymore 😉 Because today there are so many less expensive alternatives out there to choose from.
To compare, let’s look at what the “big 3″ are offering on their websites. (as of 10/14/13)
- Bell offers $70/month for unlimited voice + 250MB data
- Rogers has pretty much the same $70/month plan
- Telus tries a different approach by breaking up their voice and data package, but with a $55 phone plan, and a 250MB data plan that costs $15, the total still comes to $70/month
Now let’s look at what some of the alternative wireless companies are offering. (as of 10/14/13)
- Manitoba Telecom Services (MTS) offers a 1000 min voice + 1GB data plan for $55/month
- The crown corporation SaskTel offers a comparable plan for $45/month
- Public Mobile offers unlimited voice + data for $40/month
- Wind Mobile also has unlimited voice + data for $40/month
- Mobilicity has a similar package for $35/month or $55/month for upgrading to their 4G network
I’m sure there are other companies I’ve missed but in general it appears for a standard voice + data package, the smaller wireless players offer a 43% discount over the larger companies (~$40 vs ~$70.) 5 years ago when I got my first cell phone I paid $40/month, and that was talk only with limited minutes 😡 But today, I can get so much more for the same price! According to fellow PF blogger Stephen Weyman, even when it comes to add-on packages for traveling to the U.S., the smaller players offer better value. So I think prices have gone down, not up 😀 My current wireless package is only $20/month because I have no data plan, just unlimited talk + text.
So it’s a bit perplexing when I read reports like this one by J.D. Power and Associates that claim in 2013, 49% of Canadian wireless customers who have data packages pay on average $86/month, and the other 51% who do not have a data plan (oldschool people like me) pay $65/month. Good heavens! (；ﾟдﾟ) Who is still paying $65/month for just talk + text? No wonder people are so upset 🙁 But don’t get me wrong, I actually like it when consumers pay more 😉 Here’s a look at how our telecom sector’s average revenue per user compare with other countries.