Last week I posted my 100th blog entry. To celebrate this milestone, I’m showing support for all my readers out there by holding a stock giveaway contest. Except, rather than giving away real stocks, I’ll be sending one lucky winner money instead.
I am giving away a RIM share, in the form of cash! Research In Motion is a company well known for creating the Blackberry smart phones but more notoriously, for major management problems last year that devastated their share price. Are their stocks a cell! cell! cell! or does the company just need some time to recharge? Here’s your chance to be a stock analyst. All you have to do for a chance to win is simply predict the closing price of (RIM.TO) on the last trading session of this month, February 29th 2012. The closing price is the final price at which a stock is traded before the markets close for the day (4:00PM Eastern.) For convenience, the winner will need to have a Paypal account to collect the prize. You can sign up for free at paypal.com. Contest rules and details below…
How it Works.
The person with the closest estimate to RIM’s actual closing price on Feb 29th will win 1 share of RIM, in the form of cash, equivalent to the closing price. However, if the winner’s prediction is spot on, right down to the cent, then he or she will win 2 shares of RIM, double the amount in cash!
How to enter
Post a comment below with your prediction of what the closing price of RIM will be on Feb 29th. The deadline to get your entry in is 9pm Eastern, (6pm Pacific) on Thursday, Feb 23th. Any entries entered after that time will not count. This leaves RIM with 4 remaining trading days before the final closing time on Feb 29th.
How to win
The person with the most accurate prediction wins. It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter if they are over or under the final closing price target. This is a transparent contest because everyone can see each other’s entries in the comments section below. The winner will be announced shortly after the markets close on Feb 29st. After the announcement, the winner will have one week to contact me to claim their prize. If there is no response, the prize will go to the second most accurate estimate.
I hope the rules are pretty straight forward. This is my first giveaway. If it turns out to be a fun experience for everyone I will consider doing more giveaways like this in the future (^_^) How you pick your target price is completely up to you. The deadline to get your entries in is this Thursday evening, so don’t miss out. I’ve temporarily added RIM’s share price to the right sidebar of this page so we can keep an eye on it as we approach the end of the contest. Both your skills AND your luck will be tested (^_~) Good luck folks!
The fine print:
- Cash prize will be in CAD
- Winner must have a working Paypal account as this is the only method of payment
- In case of a tie, whoever entered first wins
- Limited one entry per household (multiple entries or spammers will be disqualified)
- Once you’ve commented with your price prediction, you cannot change your mind
- You can freely ask questions in the comments section or e-mail them to me
- If you want to, feel free to explain your prediction in your comment
- Contest refers to the shares trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX)
- Closing Price will be determined by the price listed on Google Finance
- Closing Price does not mean, or include, After-Hours Price
- You must use a valid e-mail address when you comment (It will NOT be published)
- There is a 15-20 min delay on the price of RIM on the right sidebar, as well as on Google Finance.
- I reserve the right to cancel this contest at any time for any reason
- I personally hold 50 shares of RIM, but am not otherwise affiliated with RIM or Paypal
- After all entries have been submitted, a chart comparing how all the entries are tracking may be posted publicly
- Cheaters will be disqualified
I’m guessing $14.58
My estimate is $16.15
My prediction is $15.71
I’ve already submitted my guess… but this post my friend is an absolutely brilliant way to increase your traffic!
Cool. It’s interesting that so far, the average of everyone’s estimates is higher than today’s closing price. Maybe this means people feel optimistic? But yeah, I hope you’re right about the traffic thing.
Sweet. Looks like we have 7 entries so far. Those are all great estimates by the way. For those who haven’t entered yet, just remember the longer you wait, the more likely someone else will predict your number before you. So I wouldn’t wait until the last second. Like it says in the rules, if you pick a price that has been previously posted, you don’t win 😕 so keep that in mind. It’s interesting to see other people’s sentiment on a stock. Thanks to everyone who is taking part in this giveaway.
14.75 is my roll of the dice!
One dollar, Bob 😛
Neat idea on the Giveaway!
Thanks for all your predictions folks. Entries are now closed. Further predictions can still be made for fun, but will not be entered into the contest.
I am picking 14.96 – nice idea.
I am guessing 14.39
This is better than Roll up the Rim!