Chaos theory can make the world very unpredictable. Who knows what the markets will do over the next 12 months? Maybe there are some individuals who are really good at predicting the future.
But I’m not one of them. Nevertheless, it doesn’t hurt to make some predictions just for fun. 😀 Below, not in any particular order, is a list of things that I think might happen this year. It’s all pure speculation of course. 😉
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average will rise to 20,000 points for the first time in history. It will probably happen this week.
- The S&P 500 will only return 5% due to continuously low earnings yield.
- The Nasdaq will see a 11% gain thanks to strong earnings from technology companies like Alphabet and eBay.
- The S&P/TSX Composite index in Canada will gain by 8% for the year thanks to higher commodity prices.
- The FTSE TMX Canada Universe Bond Index will return 3%. The popular iShares ETF, XBB, tracks this bond index.
- Canada GDP grows by 0.9%
- United States GDP grows by 2.0% helped by tax cuts and fiscal stimulus from a Trump administration.
- The United Kingdom’s GDP grows 1.2%.
- Germany’s GDP will crawl along at 0.3%.
- Canada’s population will grow to 36.7 million people by the end of 2017, largely thanks to new immigrants.
- Bank of Canada leaves the benchmark lending rate at 0.50%
- The U.S. Federal Reserve will increase its interest rate only once by 0.25% in the last quarter of the year.
- The Canadian dollar will weaken against the U.S. dollar to end 2017 at $0.74.
- Conservative candidate Francois Fillon will win the 2017 presidential election in France.
- Gold will be worth more at US $1260 by the end of the year.
- CPI inflation in Canada will be 1.3%.
- Inflation in the U.S. will be 1.8%.
- Amazon Go will partner with a grocery chain like Whole Foods so customers can skip the checkout.
- Apple will announce a new hardware product.
- The first self-driving car model to be sold publicly will be announced, along with the year it will be available.
- Canadian real estate prices will be 5% higher compared to 2016 thanks to continuously cheap mortgage rates.
- Someone will try to shoot Donald Trump
- Bitcoin will drop 15% in value this year, against the $USD.
- A new form of cryptocurrency will try to replace bitcoin.
- Higher interest rates in the U.S. will cause its average real estate price to fall 3%.
- The 3 largest Canadian banks will return at least 10% to their shareholders.
- Canadian unemployment rate will fall by 0.2% to 6.7% as Vancouver and Toronto lead the country in job creation.
- U.S. unemployment rate will tick up from 4.7% in December 2016 to 5.2% by the end of this year.
- Oil will end the year higher at US $56 per barrel.
- The Netherlands will hold a referendum to leave the European Union similar to Great Britain last year.
- A large European bank will need a bailout.
Do you have any predictions for this year? It could be anything you want. Whatever flips your pancake! 🙂 Let’s revisit these at the end of 2017.
Random Useless Fact: