The One Simple Rule to Win at Life!
People are programmed to pursue physical, psychological, and emotional security and comfort. However, if we give into our natural tendencies to always take the easy route then we won’t have a very meaningful or fulfilling life. That’s why it’s necessary to do what’s emotionally most uncomfortable.
So if we want to be rich and financially successful all we have to do is follow this one simple rule in life:
Always do the most emotionally difficult thing. 😉
This is a very profound notion and is almost counterintuitive to what our minds are designed to do. But doing the thing that’s the most emotionally challenging in any situation will actually lead to a more prosperous and satisfying life. Of course, most people do the opposite of this and try to look for the most convenient and easy way out. They believe this would give them a pleasant means to live. But ironically the pursuit of comfort and convenience often leads to a mediocre, frustrating and unfulfilled life.
Here are some examples to demonstrate the point:
- In business, the emotionally difficult thing for us to do is forge on ahead and take calculated risks to grow our company, even if everyone around us is being negative and unsupportive.
- It can be emotionally hard for partners to talk about their finances, debt, and spending habits with each other.
- When investing, it’s emotionally uncomfortable to remain disciplined and stick with a plan based on our long term goals and not be tempted to trade in and out of the markets.
- If we want to become investment associates at ScotiaMcLeod then the uncomfortable thing to do is to attend the proper education in University and study hard.
- In terms of saving money on food and living a healthier lifestyle it’s psychologically difficult to cook more at home, and eat out less.
- In personal finance, it’s emotionally difficult to save at least 20% of our income and store it away in a retirement account for the next 30 or 40 years.
All of these examples are choices that we can make everyday. And those of us who choose to do the most emotionally uncomfortable thing in all these areas will experience business expansion, happier relationships, better investment returns, lucrative career opportunities, a healthier body, and an abundance of wealth in retirement. 😀 Wow. So much win for following just one simple rule.
Doing the thing that’s most emotionally uncomfortable means going against the grain to what most people do. But that’s the whole point. 🙂
Many self-made millionaires are well aware of this concept and practice it all the time. They even find joy in being psychologically uncomfortable because it means they are making self-progress. Becoming rich isn’t easy so if that is our goal then we have to learn to be comfortable while operating in a state of emotional challenge and ongoing uncertainty. But people are very adaptable. And those of us who wish to become financially independent will learn to adapt to a life of being emotionally uncomfortable, because we know that in the end it’ll all be worth it! 😉
Random Useless Fact
Due to the Islamic dress code for women, televised sports events on Iranian television are often heavily censored.